To get the latest news from Acuity Brands, visit our new Media Center.
Acuity Brands is pleased to announce eight of its experts are featured speakers at Lightfair International 2013 in Philadelphia, April 21 – 25. Acuity Brands lighting, controls and daylighting experts will host a variety of workshops and seminars, covering topics from managing LED luminaire costs to healthcare lighting and retrofit lighting.
“We are excited to share our expertise with the industry as we continue to expand and develop new lighting, controls and daylighting technology,” said David Grimm, Acuity Brands Lighting Vice President. “Presenting at Lightfair is a way we can engage with the industry to share our knowledge and gain insight from other industry professionals.”
Featured Acuity Brands experts presenting during Lightfair International 2013 at the Pennsylvania Convention Center include:
Sunday, April 21
- Visual 2012 Training: David DiLaura, Acuity Brands Lighting Principal Illuminating Engineer, Innovation & Technology Group, with Randall King, Acuity Brands Lighting Director of the Illuminating Engineering Services and Tim Sears, Acuity Brands Lighting Lead Illuminating Engineer
Monday, April 22
- Photometry: Greg Subisak, Acuity Brands Lighting Director of Training for Center of Light & Space – Granville
Tuesday, April 23
- Tools and Resources for Choosing Wise Investments in Lighting: Damon Wood, Acuity Brands Lighting Specification Sales Manager
Wednesday, April 24
- Managing LED Luminaire Costs: Mark Hand, Acuity Brands Lighting Director of Indoor New Product Development & Technology
- The Visually-Optimized, Empowered Patient Room: Approaches to Transforming the Lighting Environment for Healthcare Facilities: Karyn Gayle, Acuity Brands Lighting Vice President, Healthcare Vertical
Thursday, April 25
- Lighting Retrofits: A Better Option Now Than Ever Before: Kurt Vogel, Value Stream Leader, Lithonia Lighting
Acuity Brands is exhibiting at Lightfair booth #801 and will showcase a variety of new products and technologies from its lighting, controls and daylighting offerings. For more information about Acuity Brands, please visit www.acuitybrands.com.
Las Vegas Convention Center Cuts Energy Consumption by 40% with High Bay Luminaires from Acuity BrandsApril 1, 2013
The Las Vegas Convention Center selected approximately 2,000 Holophane® DualBay high bay luminaires from Acuity Brands to improve lighting and reduce costs in its 3.2 million-square-foot facility. Installed in the convention center’s central exhibit halls, DualBay high bay luminaires feature Holophane ISD Superglass™ reflectors, dual lamp technology, solid-state electronic ballasts, and a state-of-the-art thermal management system to deliver better light quality, distribution and energy savings. The luminaires are ideal for a variety of industrial, retail and commercial applications.
“DualBay high bay luminaires have reduced the convention center’s energy consumption by nearly 40 percent while creating a vivid, uniformly lit environment with less glare and strain on the eyes,” said Joe Toro, electrical supervisor for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority.
Using two, 315-watt ceramic metal halide lamps, the high-efficacy DualBay luminaire delivers a 90+ color rendering index (CRI) and up to 112 lumens per watt in the Las Vegas Convention Center. The light levels in the central exhibit halls now range from 60 to 85 footcandles, with greater intensity in areas with lower ceilings.
“Our exhibitors have commented about how well their products look on display,” said Walter Laub, senior manager of facilities engineering for the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority. “The new lighting complements the exhibit space, making it more attractive and easier to promote overall.”
The fixtures are mounted up to 40 feet and positioned so light patterns overlap to help eliminate the possibilities of dark areas. An automated computer system controls the lighting and allows luminaires to be turned on or off individually.
Based on the current success, the Las Vegas Convention and Visitors Authority plans to add an estimated 1,400 fixtures in two additional halls. For more information about Holophane DualBay high bay luminaires, please visit www.holophane.com or www.acuitybrands.com.
Acuity Brands introduces Lithonia Lighting® D-Series Area LED luminaires integrated with Sensor Switch® motion sensors. The D-Series Area Size 1 and Size 2 LED luminaires utilize motion sensors to increase energy savings in outdoor applications, saving approximately 80 percent in energy than comparable fixed output metal halide fixtures.
Ideal for 15-to 30-foot mounting heights, the luminaire-mounted motion sensor provides a 15-to 20-foot coverage radius and a 300-degree coverage pattern. Innovative presets gradually dim the LED luminaire to a pre-set “low” level when the area becomes unoccupied, achieving energy savings while still providing security lighting. When motion is detected, the luminaires quickly ramp to the full output. The motion sensors feature nine fully programmable attributes including maximum output, motion time delay, dimmed level, fade down and ramp up times.
“With motion sensing, we are able to further enhance the benefits of LED technology to deliver even more energy savings and increase the lifespan of the luminaire,” said Eric Gibson, Value Stream Manager, Lithonia Lighting, Outdoor. “By integrating the motion sensor and the luminaire, we eliminate the need to specify and install the lighting and controls separately. The sensor comes pre-configured to standards established by the customer.”
D-Series Area LED luminaires provide a modern look ideal for many commercial and municipal applications, including parking lots, plazas, campuses and streetscapes. For more information on the latest in LED luminaires for outdoor lighting applications, please visit www.lithonia.com or www.acuitybrands.com.
Lithonia Lighting was recently honored with a “Recognized” distinction in outdoor LED lighting by The Next Generation Luminaires™ (NGL) Solid State Lighting (SSL) Design Competition. The Lithonia Lighting® D-Series LED Floodlight, Sizes 1 and 3, from Acuity Brands were commended by competition judges for color quality, distribution and glare control. They were distinguished as one of the top 40 innovative, energy-efficient products that demonstrate high quality lighting.
“We are excited to be recognized by NGL judges for the D-Series LED Floodlights, said Brad Dobbs, Lithonia Lighting Value Stream Manager. “Our D-Series LED Floodlights combine high-efficiency LEDs and precision-engineered optics to deliver precise on-target distributions, incredibly powerful lumen packages and remarkable energy savings.”
The D-Series family of floodlights features seven precision optical distributions, and are available in 3000K, 4000K and 5000K CCT’s. Featuring a compact dayform, the D-Series LED Flood luminaires blend seamlessly with the environment and create a dramatic impact with minimal presence. The D-Series LED Floodlight, Size 1 is designed for landscape, signage and accent lighting for commercial and municipal applications. The powerful D-Series LED Floodlight, Size 3 is engineered for wallwash, security and general area lighting. Delivering between 3,675 to 13,750 lumens, D-Series floodlights have an expected service life of more than 100,000 hours, or more than 20 years of nighttime use. They also maintain up to 84 percent of initial LED lumens throughout the product’s life.
Sponsored by the U.S. Department of Energy (DOE), the Illuminating Engineering Society of North America (IESNA) and the International Association of Lighting Designers (IALD),NGL SSL Design Competition launched in 2008 to promote excellence in the design of energy-efficient LED luminaires for general illumination in commercial lighting applications.
Acuity Brands has launched four new post top LED luminaires from Antique Street Lamps® that combine modern LED light sources with a traditional appearance. The RG LED Series, AL25 LED, LTL30 LED and ATL23 LED post top luminaires provide energy savings and visually appealing outdoor LED lighting. All four LED post tops feature long-life LED technology to minimize maintenance time and costs. They are ideal for applications such as city streets and parking lots, parks, residential areas, campuses, and walkways.
- RG LED Series post top LED luminaires feature a prismatic acorn globe that puts light where it is needed most, while spreading the direct light source throughout the entire globe. The series includes a selection of prismatic globes that create a balance between efficient optical performance and aesthetics. Additionally, there are multiple aesthetic options, including nine available base styles, decorative and clear metal tops, bands and medallions. RG LED Series luminaires have long-life LEDs with an expected service life of 50,000 – 70,000 hours.
- AL25 LED post top luminaires have nine base style options and an optional decorative cage and finial. The wide variety of housings and accessories make AL25 LED post top luminaires suitable for virtually any pedestrian application. They also feature long-life LEDs with an expected service life of 50,000 – 70,000 hours.
- LTL30 LED post top luminaires feature an octagonal shape with stainless steel hardware. These luminaires pair with seven base styles and also feature long-life LEDs with an expected service life of more than 70,000 hours.
- ATL23 LED luminaires are acorn-styled post top LED luminaires with a powder coat finish and premium polyester powder paint. The ATL23 LED light engine is powered by up to 32 LEDs strategically mounted to provide a suitable asymmetric or symmetric light distribution. The projected service life of ATL23 LED post top luminaries is 50,000 – 70,000 hours.
“This variety of new post top LED luminaires offer quality illumination and beauty while providing energy efficiency,” said Ben Prichard, Value Stream Manager, Period Outdoor, Antique Street Lamps. “Acuity Brands continues to upgrade products with LED-technology to develop money-saving, long-lasting lighting solutions.”
All four post top LED luminaires feature a driver life of up to 100,000 hours at 25ºC and a 5-year limited warranty. For more information on the upgraded post top LED lighting options from Antique Street Lamps, please visit www.antiquestreetlamps.com or www.acuitybrands.com.